Vision – Mission
A highly competitive and resilient city that sustains quality life
To develop land and people
Love of God
Love of Country
The word Koronadal was derived from two B’laan words koron or kolon meaning cogon grass and nadal or nadal meaning plain. In the past, the place was called Marbel which comes from a B’laan word meaning murky waters. Such names best described the place when the City was inhabited by the natives.
Koronadal used to comprise the area extending from the bank of Buluan Lake to the north to Barangay Polonoling, Tupi to the south and from the Quezon mountain range in the northeast to the municipality of T’boli in the southeast.
On January 10, 1940, the Marbel Settlement District was created under Commonwealth Act No. 141. Jesus Larrabaster was appointed as the overseer of the area. Landless farmers from both Luzon and Visayas were recruited by the government to settle in Marbel and were awarded with eight to twelve hectare lots.
Teodorico Aguirre, Melquiado Alegria, Quintin Buenavides, Pedro Cenal, Fernando Dignadice, Melchor Fabie, Gregorio Forro, Maximo Mamon, Francisco Sioco, Sofronio Somblingo, Rizalino Tirado, Antonio Velarde, Santiago Cepillo, Valeriano Elisan, Alvaro Batilaran, Sr., Leoncio Sueno, Agustin Perez and Julian Subere were the pioneer settlers.
From a handful of settlers, their number grew to 846 including their families and dependents. They were responsible in the clearing of the area and construction of roads and bunkhouses.
Cotabato then was one of the special provinces under the Administrative Code of Mindanao and Sulu. Municipal District Mayors were appointed through the recommendation of the military governor of Cotabato, Col. Dionisio Gutierrez. The first Municipal District Mayor of Koronadal was a woman named Bai Luma Panat.
Koronadal was relatively peaceful despite the war in 1941. However, on November 18, 1942 when the USAFFE soldiers attacked the Japanese garrison, the Japanese soldiers under the supervision of Capt. Oeshi, started the massacre of innocent civilians. Men, women and children alike were killed. Even Petronilo Antipolo, the assistant overseer of Koronadal was not spared. Albert Morrow, supervising overseer of the NLSA, tried to intervene but to no avail. Disappointed, Albert Morrow committed suicide; an act that eventually stopped Capt. Oeshi from continuously killing civilians.
On October 20, 1944, upon the landing of the American invasion forces under Gen. Douglas McArthur at Palo, Leyte, Admiral Spruance of the Asiatic Fleet appointed PICAO Mayors through the recommendation of Brig. Gen. Salipada Pendatun. Dr. Sergio Morales was appointed mayor of Koronadal with Pablo Inocente, Riego de Jesus and a certain Sulit as councilors. Agustin Millan, Sr. on the other hand was appointed as Chief of Police.
The rapid development of Koronadal came about when it was created as one of the municipalities of South Cotabato by virtue of an Executive Order by Pres. Manuel Roxas on August 18, 1947. The first set of municipal officials is as follows:
Mayor: Datu Kudanding Kamsa
Vice Mayor: Perfecto Sueno Sr.
Councilors: Porferio Cuenca
The first Municipal Judge was Braulio Hurtado and the first Health Officer was Dr. Felimon de Jesus. Cornelio Mariveles became the chief of Police and Godofredo Gazo, the Municipal Secretary.
The Municipal Government of Koronadal began its function on January 1, 1948 with an approved Annual Estimated budget of P 30,000.00. Embracing the present municipalities of Tampakan, Tupi, Banga, Lake Sebu, Surallah, T’boli, Sto. Niño, Norala and Isulan, the land area of the municipality by then was comparable with that of the Province of Bata-an.
Municipal Council Resolution No 32, Series of 1948 mandated and proclaimed January 10 of each year as the Municipal Town Fiesta commemorating the foundation of Marbel Settlement District of the National Land Settlement Administration. In 1951, local election was again held and the elected officials took their oath on January 2, 1952. The elected municipal officials were the following:
Mayor: Atty. Hilario de Pedro, Sr.
Vice Mayor: Venancio Magbanua
Councilors: Atty. Federico M. Dizon, Sr.
Tomas Balayon Sr.
Ramon Sucayan, Sr. was the chief of Police, Deogracias Patrimonio, the treasurer and Braulio Hurtado, the Municipal Judge.
Regular elections of municipal officials had been held thereafter. It was only in 1986 to 1987 when appointed officials governed Koronadal. 1986 was the time of the historic EDSA Revolution.
The elected municipal officials in 1998 worked for the conversion of the then Municipality of Koronanadal into a city. On August 16, 2000 former President Joseph Ejercito Estrada signed into law Republic Act No. 8803 converting the then Municipality of Koronadal into a component city of South Cotabato. This was ratified through a plebiscite on October 8, 2000. A symbolic signing by His Excellency, President Joseph Estrada, of the said law was held at Marvella Plaza Hotel, City of Koronadal on August 19, 2000.
In 2001, the first elected city officials assumed office:
City Mayor: Fernando Miguel
City Vice Mayor: Atty. Jose Ledda, Jr.
Councilors: Edwin Abris
Jose Henry Aguirre
Sergio Morales, Jr.
Gerard Paul Duremdes
Juanito Lagasca, Jr.
Roberto Sunga (ABC)
Santiago Jalon, Jr. (SK)
The issuance of Executive Order No. 304 by Her Excellency Gloria Macapagal Arroyo designating the City of Koronadal as the Regional Center and seat of SOCCSKSARGEN Region further boosted the development of Koronadal. This reinforced the earlier issuance of Executive Order No. 429 on October 12, 1990 by the then President Corazon C. Aquino designating the then Municipality of Koronadal as Regional Center.
The chain of quality leaderships and the vast socio-economic opportunities transformed the City of Koronadal into a dynamic and fast developing city now. It was awarded as the Most Competitive Small City in the Philippines in 2003, one of the Most Competitive Small Cities in the Philippines in 2005, and Most Business Friendly City in Mindanao in 2005 and 2006.